[fpc-devel] TComponent.ChangeName() not virtual?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 15:24:35 CET 2010

Vincent Snijders het geskryf:

> Obviously, so that descendants can call it.

I see TComponent also has a SetName() method [the actual setter method for
the Name property], and the SetName() method actually calls the
ChangeName() method.

  procedure SetName(const NewName: TComponentName); virtual;

The TComponent.SetName is virtual, so that solves my problem, but I still
don't see why ChangeName is even there? Why have two methods to do one
task? What purpose does ChangeName() have? Why couldn't SetName() set the
internal field variable FName?

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/