resolving namespace conflicts via project ? [Re: alternative aliases [Re: [fpc-devel] Re: [fpc-pascal] Re: Ideas for namespace implementation]]

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 04:35:43 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 00:24, Martin <fpc at mfriebe.de> wrote:
> On 27/07/2010 13:53, Alexander Klenin wrote:
> Not sure about the "by far"
Sorry about that.

> to me one of the really important questions is: Should qualified unit
> references in the source (outside the "uses") be allowed?
> My answer is "no" => but that's only 2 cent (my 2 cent)

I do not think it is so very important, but still:
1) I believe that arbitrary restrictions are confusing for a programmer
  and contrary to the orthogonality principle.
2) Consider what will actually happen: _everybody_ who needs this
feature will have to write

uses LCLForms = LCL.Forms, MyForms = My.Forms;
LCLForms.TPosition ... MyForms.TPositions...

i.e. in 90% of cases the alias will in fact be a concatenation of namespace and
unit name. I see that as forcing programmer into unnecessary code duplication,
which is bad IMO.

--
Alexander S. Klenin