[fpc-devel] Safecall on Linux (and other unices?)

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 22 06:50:27 CEST 2010

Hi!

Am 22.07.2010 02:32, schrieb Hans-Peter Diettrich:
> Sven Barth schrieb:
>
>> Well... for Linux exists no safecall convention and the only library
>> that might profit from it is XPCOM which uses cdecl procedures that
>> are compatible with the idea of safecall.
>> But if we implement safecall on Linux to be used with XPCOM
>
> ...then we might make XPCOM unusable on Windows, when it requires a
> calling method different from safecall.

You misunderstand that.

XPCOM uses cdecl on Linux and stdcall on Windows.

The order of the parameters of XPCOM is compatible to the
safecall-concept, because the last parameter contains the returned
"object" and the return value is a HResult (or nsresult in case of XPCOM).

On Windows safecall is a wrapper around stdcall. On Linux we don't have
safecall currently and thus could make it a wrapper around cdecl,
because XPCOM uses this on Linux.

Regards,
Sven