[fpc-devel] OO rewrite - technical questions

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Jul 21 12:04:04 CEST 2010

  On 07/20/2010 08:46 PM, Sven Barth wrote:
> For this purpose the TLS-API is to be used.
I understand that the TLS-API is too slow to be really useful for doing
global threadvars. Correct ?
> The segment registers that point to the TLS array are undocumented and
> part of the internal bookkeeping of a NT system (and yes, Windows
> Vista and 7 are NT systems as well).
> But because many applications rely on this undocumented TEB...
I suppose they do so because of what is asked above :)
> Microsoft doesn't dare to change anything regarding this.
If their C compiler uses this, many programs done with same would fail
if they would change the Segment register based API. So I do bet they
will never change it.

And thus I think it's viable for FP to do what the M$ C compiler does.

-Michael