[fpc-devel] OO Rewrite - structural changes

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Mon Jul 19 11:18:26 CEST 2010

My current attempt of an object-oriented refactoring of the compiler
proceeds quite fast :-)

Unfortunately this attempt will affect the structure of the entire
project, so that it may become hard, later, to track the history of the
otherwise unchanged functionality (procedure implementations). E.g.
currently the parser is scattered across multiple units. When a parser
class is created, all the procedures in these units must become methods
of this class. This is not a technical problem, the units will be
re-used as include files, with stripped unit heading (unit ...
implementation) and procedure headers changed into method headers.

Actually I missed to create the branch first, before starting editing -
I hope that I can correct this bad approach. But I suspect the same
history problem, when the branch shall be merged into the trunk, later.
What should I do, to reduce such losses to a minimum?

DoDi