[fpc-devel] FPC/Delphi/FastMM4/TopMemory speed test

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sun Jul 18 10:41:45 CEST 2010

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 07:28:24 +0300
Adem <listmember at letterboxes.org> wrote:

>   On 2010-07-17 23:08, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> > That's not needed.
> > Use fpc.exe and it will call the right compiler. Make sure your fpc.cfg
> > contains macros and the paths are right.
> This is what I did:
>
> I installed 32bit version in folder C:/FPC_Lazarus_x86 and 64bit version
> in C:/FPC_Lazarus_x64, hoping that they would peacefully coexist.
>
> They didn't.

The fpc macro values are i386 and x86_64.
For example the fpc.cfg under linux uses paths like this:
-Fu/usr/lib/fpc/$fpcversion/units/$fpctarget

When calling fpc(.exe) with -Ti386 it looks for a ppc386(.exe)
and starts it. Let's say ppc386.exe is version 2.4.1
ppc386 then searches ppu files in

/usr/lib/fpc/2.4.1/units/i386

Translate this to some windows paths you like and adapt your fpc.cfg.

Keep in mind that Lazarus and FPC are separate things and that only the
windows installer puts fpc in a sub directory of the lazarus
directory.
You can easily use one lazarus with several fpcs and they can share
the same fpc source directory.
All Lazarus packages use macros in their output directories, so that
ppus for i386 and x86_64 are in different folders.

> I think the reason why they didn't is because both installations share
> the same data folder i.e. C:\Users\$username\AppData\Local\lazarus
>
> Hence, both the x86 and x64 versions share the information stored under
> that folder --which screws up things.
>
> A better solution, IMO, would be to use both the patform and version
> numbers; so that workdirs become:
>
> C:\Users\$username\AppData\Local\lazarus\0.9.29\win32\2.4.0
> C:\Users\$username\AppData\Local\lazarus\0.9.29\win32\2.4.3
> C:\Users\$username\AppData\Local\lazarus\0.9.29\win64\2.4.0
> C:\Users\$username\AppData\Local\lazarus\0.9.29\win64\2.4.3
>
> etc.
>
> This way, I can have several different versions live under the same
> $username.

Feel free to do so.

> One more thing: Lazarus, when uninstalled, removes neither its install
> folder, nor its workdir; which it should.

I don't know the internals of the windows installer.
Maybe Vincent knows.

Mattias