[fpc-devel] Messages overhead

Sergei Gorelkin sergei_gorelkin at mail.ru
Thu Jul 15 06:26:09 CEST 2010

Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Daniƫl Mantione schrieb:
>
>>> IMO compiler messages slow down compilation a lot.
>>
>> How do you know this, did you benchmark or is it just your opinion?
>
> Common knowledge, proved by experience.

I had benchmarked that, and submitted some patching some (already long) time ago. Those patches
inserted calls to CheckVerbosity before blocks of messages of rarely used verbosity, like V_Tried.
This way it was possible to get rid of majority of rarely seen messages, while struggling with more
common verbosities seems impractical (those are few anyway).

Message processing indeed includes some overhead, but this is not #1 bottleneck to worry about.
Maybe #10 or so. Most processing is done in shortstrings, which is fast.

Regards,
Sergei