[fpc-devel] Semicolon before else

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Jan 29 21:17:29 CET 2010

In our previous episode, Jonas Maebe said:
> > I'd like to hear your opinion on what exactly causes this too. I
> > thought
> > about it, and would roughly say:
> >
> > 1) the FPC cg accepts roughly a kind of superset of pascal dialects,
> > and the dialect modes map
> > onto it.
> > 2) the fact that precompiled units roughly are a binary representation
> > of the header converted in this superset?
> >
> > while
> > 1) gcc's GIMPLE is lower level (not a common superset of dialects/
> > languages)
> > 2) gcc derivatives don't store their haeders in a binary
> > representation in
> > such superset.
>
> I think the binary representation is unrelated.

That it is binary, is. The point was more that it is a superset. A slightly
lower level superset of the dialects supported more or less.

> It can also work if C
> headers contain a #pragma that indicates the language mode they are
> written in (and the C file that includes them contains another
> #pragma, or the mode setting in the header is preceded by a "push" and
> followed by a "pop" of the current/default language mode). I don't
> know whether GCC supports this though.

I don't know if a GCC frontend can directly parse headers in multiple
languaes. It would mean multiple frontends in one binary and afaik the gcc
frontends are separate binaries?