[fpc-devel] ref.tex documentation mistake

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 10:36:00 CET 2010

Hi Michael,

I updated my fpcdocs repository from r625 (pre 2.4.0 release) to r634 (post
2.4.0 release), but still found a bug in documentation and missing
information related to FPC 2.4.0

1) Wrong Information:
-----------[ ref.tex line 1340 ]-------------------------
\subsection{WideStrings}
\index{Widestring}\index{Types!Widestring}\index{Types!Reference counted}
\keywordlink{Widestring}
Widestrings (used to represent unicode character strings) are implemented
in much
the same way as ansistrings: reference counted, null-terminated arrays,
only they
are implemented as arrays of \var{WideChars} instead of regular \var{Chars}.

WideString is not reference counted on all platforms. On Windows it is
_not_ reference counted as far as I know. This is done to be compatible
with COM string type behaviour.

2) Missing information:
Under "Character Types", there is no documentation on the new type
"UnicodeString". To add to this, UnicodeString is exactly the same as
WideString _except_ that it IS reference counted on all platforms.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/