[fpc-devel] Console IO revisited

Thaddy thaddy at thaddy.com
Fri Dec 3 16:11:46 CET 2010

On 3-12-2010 15:50, Daniël Mantione wrote:

> Could you maybe specify what you want to achieve and in what way FPC
> requires you to use workaround hacks?
>
> Daniël
Yes,

In FPC the console IO is *always* redirected, be it through a handle or
a named file.
The named file is expected to be independent of redirection. The handle
not.
Handle copying or inheritance doesn't matter in this case. The 'CONXXX'
should always point to one and the same.
Without hacks this is not possible in the current implementation. CONXXX
!=  ( sorry, not) the vars Input, output etc.

At least in winapi speak. (or similar with Posix). And these refer to OS
interfaces, not languages.

But as I confess, I might be wrong. Show me.

Michael has a point of view from the language perspective, which is
historically almost correct.
My view is it has been superseded by OS's through history.

Oh my, I just promised I consider the prevailing opinion as acceptable ;-)

Sorry,

Regards,

Thaddy

There's a reason for being persistent. Also regarding the subject ;-)