[fpc-devel] regarding RTTI unit mail

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun Aug 29 15:52:57 CEST 2010

In our previous episode, Hans-Peter Diettrich said:

> > This sidestep thread over the EU directive misses the main point. Legal or
> > not, the question is do we really copy interfaces straight from Borland
> > source?  Afaik not.  At least I never did, I always looked up header
> > definitions from places as Delphi.about.com
>
> How can you be sure that this information has been acquired and
> published in accordance to the law?

I didn't claimed to. That goes for anything on the web btw, which is why I
generally try Microsoft sources first, and see if I can derive it from that
in combination with testing with applications. This doesn't go for
everything but goes a long way.

I also avoid using materials that I received under my Delphi eula, but try
to use websources.  That includes Embarcaderos, since I consider those
published.

I haven't researched every legal aspect of that policy, but I considered
that an easier defendable position then trying to defy an agreed EULA first.

Another murky subject is the docs (in CHM format and others) that have been
(are?) available from Embarcadero FTP server.  I never used those either,
but partially that is also because Borland started posting docs online
before it became necessary for me.