[fpc-devel] fpdoc's link attribute in Section tags

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Aug 13 16:01:35 CEST 2010

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> [... sorry I only noticed now my Subj line is wrong. It should read Element
> tags...]
>

> Michael,
>
> Due to lack of documentation regarding the link attribute in Element tags,
> how are link attributes supposed be be handled.  ps: I'm looking at the
> latest PDF docs of the last FPC release.

In my opinion, the overview of a class member should simply refer to the
page containing the parent's implementation (i.e. the target of the link).

It should not duplicate the documentation.

> eg:
> What happens if an Element tag has a link attribute, but that element node
> also contains ShortDescr, Descr, SeeAlso etc nodes?  Does the link
> attribute take preference, and the child nodes of that Element gets ignored?

It should of course take precedence.

> To me the above make sense because the link attribute is at the Element
> level. Otherwise it overly complicates matters - and I think will just
> confuse documentation writers.
>

> BTW:
> The HTML output writer works as I described above. If the link attribute
> exists inside a Element tag, the child nodes of that Element is ignored. I
> implemented the Linear output writers behaviour to follow the same rules.

Seems correct.

> BTW #2:
> Please tell me the link attribute is only allowed in the Element tag, and
> not in other tags? :-)

It is only allowed in the element tag, and should be observed only for class
members. It makes no sense otherwise.

Michael.