[fpc-devel] Proposal: Enhanced replacement for assignment operators

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 12:23:06 CEST 2010

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 19:06, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:
> In our previous episode, Alexander Klenin said:
>> C-like operators reduce the number of required punctuation --
>> I always think that the extra punctuation is bad for readability.
[..]
> punctuation is not even 100% required to understand natural language.

Correct. That is why reducing it to a required minimum is a good thing.

>> As for multiplication, floating-point and overloaded cases,
>> they are simply required since Inc and Dec do not work at all.
>
> inc and dec work fine as far as I know for over a decade.

Hm, just re-checked -- no, they do not.
They never did and probably never will
(at least, I do not think there is a need to extend them, since a
better alternative,
assignment operators, is already implemented).

--
Alexander S. Klenin