[fpc-devel] FPC 2.3.1 seems a mixed mess with Unicode support

Thaddy thaddy at thaddy.com
Wed Sep 16 14:39:56 CEST 2009

Marco van de Voort wrote:
>> This should be transparent for the non-library user code....
>>

> It is. Widestring always worked more or less, on both FPC,Kylix and Delphi.
> But the COM backed versions (FPC2.2+ (?) and Delphi) suffered from
> performance problems
As I wrote it should be opaque ( = transparent, btw).
At least for windows I overcame most of the problems that widestring is
using COM by writing a simple COM Delphi memorymanager replacement years
ago in pre-userspace. Thus all reference counting (at least at block
level, but also for delphi strings) is managed by COM. It is still
available at my website. And yes, it is rather slow. But string
manipulation is slow anyway.
I had to do this for COM production code written in Delphi to work more
reliable. The solution had good reviews from then Borland techies.