[fpc-devel] iphone development

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed Sep 16 11:13:37 CEST 2009

On 16 Sep 2009, at 01:06, ABorka wrote:

> How is freepascal's iphone development compares to this latest mono
> way of creating native iphone apps?
>
> http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/09/monotouch-drops-net-into-apples-walled-app-garden.ars

We don't distribute an interface to most iPhone frameworks, in part
because the iPhone SDK licensing agreement forbids distributing any
derivative works. The Mono guys apparently ignore this and do
distribute a bunch of XML files generated from the files included in
the iPhone SDK. So keep in mind that you are violating Apple's
licensing agreement if you use their stuff (although Apple doesn't
seem to care much about that, given that a lot of applications based
on an engine using the precursor of MonoTouch, namely Unity3D, are
shipping already). At any point, an application you write using that
stuff could probably be yanked from the Apple store though (unless the
Mono people have a redistribution agreement with Apple, but I doubt
that).

> Reading the wiki it is not really a snap to set it up to be able to
> develop iphone apps.

a) install the package
b) create a new Xcode project using the provided template
c) compile it/run it
d) see a nice spinning 3D FPC logo on your iPod/iPhone

(with an extra step between a) and b) if you're using the iPhone SDK
3.0/3.1, because of a bug in the iPhone SDK linker). This does not
include solving any troubles you may have with getting the certificate
mess sorted out, because that's identical for regular Objective-C
projects.

All the other information on the wiki is background information (a lot
of it just repeating stuff from Apple's website to avoid having to
answer questions from answer people who didn't read that information).

Jonas