[fpc-devel] LaTeX docs to HTML

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Fri Sep 4 15:11:59 CEST 2009

Michael,

I know you are a BIG LaTeX fan, so it will be a hard sell to change to
anything else. :-)  Anyway, here might be another solution. Ever heard
of PanDoc? It's a document parser that can convert from many text
formats to many other text formats.

Here is one example (and where I found out about PanDoc).
The author Scott Chacon wrote and published a book called "Pro Git". You
can purchase it on Amazon. Apress has since released the book under the
Creative Commons license. So the author placed the original content on
GitHub.

Pro Git:   http://github.com/progit/progit

Amazingly, the complete book was written in MarkDown text formatting.
They used a small script which use PanDoc to generate a LaTeX output and
then processes that to a PDF. They also processed the original MarkDown
to HTML output - viewable on the website.

In both cases (PDF and HTML), they are very readable and easy to
navigate. I don't know PanDoc, but judging by the output it generate for
the Pro Git book, I am quite impressed.

Pro Git HTML book is online at:
   http://progit.org/book

Pro Git PDF book from LaTeX is at:
   http://netsoc.tcd.ie/~duairc/progit.en.pdf

You can obviously generate your own PDF version if you have PanDoc and
LaTeX installed.

Anyway, I just thought I would mention this. But for the FPC
documentation, I still prefer the PDF versions. The have a clean layout,
easy to use with hyperlink support and searchable.  Now I only need to
find a local printer in South Africa so I can get actual hard-copies of
them. I have a lot of eBooks I would like hard-copies of. :-(

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/