[fpc-devel] SqlDB + Firebird application doesn't run on new Ubuntu installation

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Nov 27 11:31:11 CET 2009

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> In our previous episode, Graeme Geldenhuys said:
>
>> the ideal solution - forcing the user to manually create a
>> libfbclient.so symbolic link to the versioned on. And to do that, they
>> must have root privileges!
>
>> Possible solutions:
>> -------------------
>> 1) Change SqlDB + Firebird code to look for 'libfbclient.so.2' by
>> default. After all, version 2 of Firebird has been out for years.
>
> Best. Or simply use the static ones and -XLA.
>
> If you use the static units, a simple -XLAfbclient=fpbclient.2 might
> solve this too.

But then it fails on a Firebird 1.5 installation, and there are a lot
of those around as well.

The patch as Graeme suggests is good, and will solve 99% of all cases.
For the corner cases that still go wrong, the programmer can fix it by
explicitly detecting and loading the correct one at program startup.

Michael.