[fpc-devel] profiling under windows

Paul Ishenin ip at kmiac.ru
Fri Nov 20 05:47:41 CET 2009

Hello,  FPC developers' list.

I tried to build the compiler with gprof profile code. In the compiler
dir I executed:

make clean all OPT="-gl -pg"

As result of linking I have the next errors:
Linking .\pp.exe
pp.pas(224,1) Error: Import library not found for c
pp.pas(224,1) Error: Import library not found for gmon
pp.pas(224,1) Error: Import library not found for cygwin
pp.pas(224,1) Error: Import library not found for user32
pp.pas(224,1) Error: Import library not found for kernel32
pp.pas(224,1) Error: Import library not found for gcc
pp.pas(224,1) Error: Undefined symbol: _mcount
pp.pas(224,1) Error: Undefined symbol: __mcleanup
pp.pas(224,1) Error: Undefined symbol: _monstartup
pp.pas(224,1) Error: Undefined symbol: ___main
pp.pas(224,1) Error: Undefined symbol: _cygwin_crt0
pp.pas(224,1) Fatal: There were 11 errors compiling module, stopping

I understand that I need to help linker somehow to find some files. But
I have no idea what does it need: c.lib or c.o or c.dll? Where should I
obtain that files?

I tried to search our wiki:
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Profiling#FreePascal_profiler_support and I
see that on windows some additional steps might be required but what
steps is not written :)

Please help.

Btw, maybe a good idea to have the built-in easy profiler info support
in the compiler. Compiler can surround each call by the code which
measure the time and log it to the external file.

--
Best regards,
Paul Ishenin.