[fpc-devel] Redefine FillChar() to use out parameter instead

"Vinzent Höfler" JeLlyFish.software at gmx.net
Thu Nov 19 23:11:39 CET 2009

Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org>:

> Vinzent Höfler schrieb:
> > Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org>:
> >
> >> Because a VAROUT parameter would be simply overwritten by the callee
> >> even if it contains a valid automated type:
> >
> > That's a semantic definition, not an explanation.
>
> Sorry, but it seems you didn't follow up the thread, so I won't continue
> here.

I followed the thread at least up to the point where "varout" was proposed as a possible solution.

So, considering that it's not even implemented, it's rather awkward to discuss semantics which it would have when it were implemented - and then explain why it still would not solve the problem.

I always thought that for a new feature the proper semantics should be discussed first and then how one would implement it.
Now it seems, the only possible implementation is already done and cast in stone and now you try to explain why the semantics caused by the implementation still doesn't solve the problem and thus wouldn't be worth to be implemented... is that recursive or circular now?

Vinzent.