[fpc-devel] Redefine FillChar() to use out parameter instead

Thaddy thaddy at thaddy.com
Tue Nov 17 15:29:00 CET 2009

Jonas Maebe wrote:

> Delphi compatibility. And Delphi does that because COM requires this
> behaviour.

Yes, but.. As I hinted before that is because COM is reference counted
on an intermediate level by a certain OS. A simple (but performance
cost) change of the memorymanager can fix that for that OS - I wrote one
and we use it in real life -. And we can play on with the rest of the
OS's. So I suggest the following adjustment, also applicable to
widestring: the fact that the com subsystem is reference counting
prevents the language from reference counting. That sounds and is silly ;)