cpstrnew branch (was Re: [fpc-devel] Freepascal 2.4.0rc1 released)

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Mon Nov 9 17:41:01 CET 2009

In our previous episode, Martin Schreiber said:
> > This would break a lot of Delphi and COM code, and is IMHO not smart. If
> > for some reason the old widestring implemention needs to continue (it is
> > redundant if unicodestring is there?), it should get a different
> > identifier.
> >

> No problem with me. What will be the new name?

I don't know if there will be a kylix widestring then. It is not my
decision.

> Although I find it strange that WideString is reference counted on Linux
> and the same WideString type is not reference counted on Windows and for
> porting COM code one could define WideString = OLEString or OLEString =
> WideString to be Delphi compatible.

The Delphi version was first. Since people also used it for non COM
purposes, Borland added it to Kylix. Kylix is dead, which makes the
ref counted widestring extinct in the Borland line.

Delphi COM usage gets the widestring identifier (IMHO) because that is what
it was originally conceived for.