[fpc-devel] Porting FPC to Support OpenMoko

Henry Vermaak henry.vermaak at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 15:14:41 CET 2009

2009/3/21 Paul Breneman <Paul2006 at brenemanlabs.com>:
> Henry,
>
> I've started developing some embedded ARM products (for city tornado warning
> sirens) using FreePascal.  Thankfully FPC 2.2.2 ARM-Linux works just fine on
> the board I'm using.
>
> But I'd like to understand more about the different options that FPC
> supports, and maybe add more examples at this page:
>  http://www.turbocontrol.com/helloworld.htm
>
> oabi & hard float - default FPC 2.2.2 ARM-Linux?

yes, i think so.

> oabi & soft float

i've used this and it works well.

> eabi & hard float
> eabi & soft float

i think if you compile fpc for armel, then it does softfloat, but i'm
not sure.  i'm not sure if fpc can take advantage of vfp
co-processors, either.  i'm still planning to get some of our software
working for arm eabi when i manage to engineer another brain to assist
me.

> Are those the main options?

in addition to this there is also the big endian variant.  i seem to
remember that fpc worked for armeb with softfloat, but i couldn't get
it to work with my board.  most arm is now little endian, it seems.

> FreePascal is only precompiled for the first configuration?

i think so.  even debian lenny uses eabi now, so this will probably change.

> Thanks in advance for any advice.  I sure do need to study up on this more
> so links or info would be appreciated.

i'm really not an expert, but if florian is around he can give you
answers to any specific questions/problems regarding fpc with arm, so
just ask!

henry