[fpc-devel] Re: Debugger for FPC

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Mar 12 09:53:50 CET 2009

Vincent Snijders wrote on do, 12 mrt 2009:

> I guess the fpc developers traded debuggability for maintainability, so
> you could have a better fpc (more features or less bugs). That is what
> it concerns to you as developer. Maybe you disagree with that trade off.

No, it's simply an unimplemented feature. In fact, I for one didn't
even realise that absolute variables were not included in the debug
information (they're not used that much in the compiler itself).

I've also never seen a bug report about this fact. And although I
realise that it may not be obvious that some variable is not visible
due to the fact that it's an absolute variable, simply a bug report
about "variable x of unit y is not visible to the debugger" would have
been enough.

So when something does not work in the debugger, do not automatically
assume that it's because GDB is supposedly so bad. It may just as well
be a bug in the compiler.

Jonas