[fpc-devel] Debugger for FPC

Dave Parsons dwparsons at t-online.de
Wed Mar 11 10:34:00 CET 2009

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:24:53 +0200, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> I am willing to learn and help. Not having decent debugger support is
> killing me - and I am clearly not alone, as the thread in the Lazarus
> mailing list proves. The problem as far as I can see, is that the Free
> Pascal project is trying to use existing debuggers that were NOT
> designed to work with the Object Pascal language. So maybe we should
> stop using those and implement our own debugging symbol format (if
> that is required) and then continue with writing a debugger specific
> to Free Pascal. I am more that willing to put in some effort if it
> means we end up with a working debugger!
>
> Your thoughts?

Hello Graeme,

I fully agree with this. Not having acceptable debugging is the
only reason stopping me from recommending adopting Lazarus at
work. The development time penalty is simple too high to justify.

I don't know whether I could find time to help, maybe at weekends
at home, I certainly can't at work.

Regards,
Dave