[fpc-devel] Variable can not be initialized by named constant

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sun Mar 1 16:16:57 CET 2009

On 01 Mar 2009, at 15:58, Alexander Klenin wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 00:47, Jonas Maebe
> <jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be> wrote:
>>
>> This depends on a mode switch. Use {$j-} to turn off the ability to
>> write to
>> typed constants. Maybe it's off by default in your version of Delphi.
> I know. I argued that it should be off by default in FPC too --
> in Delphi mode because of compatibility,

It depends on which Delphi you want to be compatible with. In general,
FPC aims for compatibility with Delphi 7, and at least in Kylix 3 (~
Delphi 6.5) the default is {$j+}

> in FPC mode because it is sane.

And would break backwards compatibility.

>> You can try, but I'm afraid it'll stay open for quite a long time
>> if no one
>> also submits a patch.
> Of course, this is open source ;-)
> Main goal of the present discussion for me is to get sure the request
> will not be closed as "won't fix".

I don't think there is a way to be sure of that, but it seems unlikely
to me that it will be closed immediately if you phrase it purely as a
feature request.

Jonas