[fpc-devel] Compilation error using FPC 2.2.2 on iMac PowerPC...

dominique at savagesoftware.com.au dominique at savagesoftware.com.au
Mon Apr 13 20:36:51 CEST 2009

Hi all,
  I'm using FreePascal 2.2.2, from 12th April 2009
snapshot to compile my app on a PowerPC iMac running Mac OS X 10.3.9.
All my units compile fine, but it fails during the linking phase with the
error listed below...

Linking ./YoYo70-powerpc
/usr/bin/ld:
/usr/local/lib/fpc/2.2.2/units/powerpc-darwin/paszlib/zinflate.o stray
relocation PPC_RELOC_PAIR entry (36) in section (__TEXT,__text)
An error occurred while linking
Error: Error while linking
Fatal: There were 1 errors compiling module, stopping
Fatal: Compilation aborted
Error: /usr/local/bin/ppcppc returned an error exitcode (normal if you did
not specify a source file to be compiled)

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i can get around this problem?
What is a "stray relocation" for future reference?

Also I was hoping to be able to build FPC from SVN, but the only SVN *.dmg
file I found on the internet, would not install correctly on 10.3.9.
Does anyone have a link that they know works on 10.3.9? I have XCode
installed in case I need to build anything.

I copied a SVN version of the the code from my Intel MacBook to the iMac
and tried to build it from scratch but it give the following errors...
system.pp:126894:Complex expression. Absolute segment assumed.
system.pp:126899:Complex expression. Absolute segment assumed.
system.pp:126904:Complex expression. Absolute segment assumed.
system.pp:126911:unknown section attribute: debug
system.pp:217537:unknown section attribute: debug
Error: Error while assembling exitcode 1
Fatal: There were 2 errors compiling module, stopping
Fatal: Compilation aborted
Error: /usr/local/bin/ppcppc returned an error exitcode (normal if you did
not specify a source file to be compiled)
make[7]: *** [system.ppu] Error 1
make[6]: *** [darwin_all] Error 2
make[5]: *** [rtl] Error 2
make[4]: *** [next] Error 2
make[3]: *** [ppc1] Error 2
make[2]: *** [cycle] Error 2
make[1]: *** [compiler_cycle] Error 2
make: *** [build-stamp.powerpc-darwin] Error 2

Actually there are LOADS of "system.pp:126894:Complex expression. Absolute
segment assumed." like messages before build stops.
That same SVN code compiles without any issues on the Intel MacBook and you
don't get the "Absolute segment assumed" messages either.

Would I be right in thinking that if I can get fpc and the rest of the rtl
compiling under 10.3.9, that my app shoud then compile correctly?

Thanks,

Dominique.