[fpc-devel] Unicodestring branch, please test and help fixing

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Fri Sep 12 15:59:37 CEST 2008

Op Fri, 12 Sep 2008, schreef listmember:

> This search needs to be NOT case-sensitive.
>
> How can you do this?
>
> Is it doable if TCharacter (or wahtever you call it) has no 'langauge'
> attribite?

'I am on FoolStrasse' versus 'I am on FoolStraße' is not a upper/lower
case issue. Strasse and Straße have the same casing. So yes, you can do
case-insensitive search.

The problem you describe does exists. ü and ue are equivalent in German,
but not in Dutch. So someone searching for ü will also want to receive
results for ue, a Dutch speaking person would not.

This however, should not be fixed at the string level, but at the file
format level. I.e. in HTML you can do <DIV lang='nl'>. You could design a
#27 escape code for text files if you'd like.

Daniël