[fpc-devel] Unicodestring branch, please test and help fixing

ik idokan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 16:46:28 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/9/08, Anton Kavalenka <anton.k at tut.by> wrote:
>>  The Pascal huge strings always annoy me.
>>  Since - it is IMPLICIT automatic object with set of overloaded methods,
>> length and reference count fields etc hidden from developer.
>>
>>  In near future we geat a Zoo of the strings:
>>  AnsiString, WideString, UnicodeString, ShortString, PWideChar, PChar
>>  Some of them with encoding field.
>
> I have to say I agree with you.... The Object Pascal / Delphi language
> already has way to many string types!  At it's just getting worse.

Actually I find this to be a good feature. On C for example you will
find a lot of typedef that results out of int or long int, and you can
understand that time_f is about working with time, while pid_t talks
about pids etc... They all are integer types but it is easier to
understand their uses. Sure it means that you must have better
documentation out there, but I think it is worth it.

> I've always liked the Java style of everything being an object - even
> the string type.

It is always the thing I dislike in Java.
For example on languages such as Ruby/Python everything is a true
object (including nil in ruby), however you do not "need" it when you
do not use sub methods, and there for your language like Java and C++
become a bloat ware. Because it have way too much information to
compile into binary. On Pascal (using smart linking) you can add only
things you use (but on OO it does not work like that).

> Regards,
>  - Graeme -

Ido
--