[fpc-devel] Excellent work you guys have done

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Oct 7 13:59:50 CEST 2008

> In practice however, the framework
> constructors are under a lot of pressure to provide whatever microsoft
> came up with or to start using new features, whether they want it or
> not.

In this area I feel that much of what Microsoft comes up with is not bad
ideas at all.

I lately took a look at Silverlight and this seems to _finally_ provide
a good way to create server based programs with a decent remote GUI that
runs in a browser. Of course the Mono project started it's "Moonlight"
to keep up with them.

While Microsoft's implementation of the Silverlight SDK is based in the
dreadful Microsoft web server stuff, a Silverlight project (done in
Visual Studio) just results in a set of files containing CIL-code (to
run on the server and to run in the browser), XML-based GIU construction
code. Java-code do run in the browser to manage the communication, etc.
This should be usable on any web server. I consider to use it to provide
a GUI to an embedded device with a deeply embedded processor.

-Michael