[fpc-devel] Pascal to Java compiler

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 22:48:25 CET 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:
> Besides the pure language problem, there is also the library problem. Java
> and .NET are more than just a bytecode specification, there are also vast
> standard libraries, and the VCL-alike standard libraries of FPC (classes
> unit etc) are not designed to work on top of Java or .NET classes.

My initial experience was that this is no problem. The Java libraries
are just an API just like any other. Just call the appropriate
routines and you can build your implementation for anything in the FPC
library.

I managed to write a simple ReadLn using base Java routines. It turns
out they don't have one ready (horrible!), so I just got a routine
that reads byte per byte and read until a new line comes. Parsed the
ASCII into a number, processed the signal, etc.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho