[fpc-devel] Unicode support (again)

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 16:38:02 CET 2008

2008/11/11 Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de>:

>> a) "ü": "LATIN SMALL LETTER U WITH DIAERESIS", encoded as $C3 $BC
>> b) "ü": "LATIN SMALL LETTER U", encoded as $75, followed by "COMBINING
>> DIAERESIS", which is encoded as $CC $88
>
> I see, but I fail to see the sense of providing two different UTF8 code
> variants for the same unicode character.

I believe it's got to do with case conversion, sorting etc... I think
Mac OS always uses the non-normalized form and Linux the normalized
one.  But yes, those combining characters are a pain to handle. I
tried in fpGUI Toolkit and still having issues with things like cursor
position calculations etc.. :-(

Regards,
  - Graeme -