[fpc-devel] Unicode support (again)

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 10:05:53 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de> wrote:
> needs to do something other than just "length()" to find out the count of
> characters in a string.

>From memory, the Delphi and FPC documentation says that Length()
returns the number of bytes, NOT the number of characters....

As for the rest of you comments, I agree. Object Pascal is a beautiful
language because it does type handling for you - like your example of
'+' for Integer or String types.  In the same way I would hope that
FPC can handle the String type seamlessly for UTF-16 or UTF-8 -
whichever encoding the FPC developers decide String type should be.

Regards,
  - Graeme -