[fpc-devel] Russian locale information not compatible with FPC locale variables

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Wed Jul 30 17:01:49 CEST 2008

Op woensdag 30-07-2008 om 11:33 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Florian
Klaempfl:
> Marco van de Voort schrieb:
> >
> > Read this and the reactions, and weep:
> >
> > http://groups.google.com/group/borland.public.delphi.non-technical/browse_frm/thread/db61d19063a2f948/289008199451755a?lnk=gst&q=voort+multicore#289008199451755a
>
> I don't agree on the point that good mt support is a matter of the
> framework. _Really_ good multithreading support is a matter and must be
> a matter of the language as well and in several years and must be as
> common as while or for loops. Currently, multithreaded programming is
> like programming spaghetti basic. A good framework is comparable to at
> least the try to program structured with line numbered basic but it is
> not forced by the language. The compiler must know about parallism.

I'm not really into paralel-computing. But it does interest me.

Just to test some ideas/opinions. Could something like this be usefull?

Function DoSomething(const astring : string) : boolean; parallel;
begin
..
end

So that the 'parallel' keywords means that if you call this procedure,
it's started in a separate thread. (maybe just a compiler hint, like in
inline. So that the compiler can decide)
If you actually use the result somewhat further in you program, the
compiler detects this and waits for the other thread to finish, before
it continous.

Ofcourse, of someone uses some globa-vars in an 'parallel' procedure, he
could be doomed, if he don't know what he does. But maybe the compiler
can even forbid this.

Would this be usefull at all? Doable?

Joost