[fpc-devel] Present and Future of Free Pascal Compiler (1).

Boian Mitov mitov at mitov.com
Wed Jul 30 15:19:07 CEST 2008

     Hi Mehmet,

Actually you are missing the point. The problem is not the operating system.
Lets assume for the moment the simple case of a 32 core system that
apparently will be available sometime next year (Dual octal cores with HT).
In case you are running multiple intensive processes you are utilizing
probably well. If you are working on a workstation however and let say
process video, you have 2 options. You can do what we do, and have the video
processing split among multiple threads, or you can write a single
processing thread, and have the compiler distribute the execution between
the cores. Each approach has advantages and disadvantages. When dealing with
video or audio processing you can spread the task among threads relatively
easily, although you still will have a partial utilization, if you have the
compiler to do the distribution you probably will achieve a better result.
This is the same old RISC versus CISC argument. In modern RISC processors
the compiler is responsible to handle the pipelining, in the classical CISC
processor the pipeline is controlled by the hardware. Now the RISC
processors ware not such a success due to other design problems, but Itanium
as example uses the same compiler driven pipelining fairly successfully. You
can argue that the pipeline has to be controlled by the processor the same
way you can argue that the processor utilization should be OS driven, but
there is always alternative approach with its own advantages and
disadvantages. Compiler multicore utilization means that a single threaded
application can utilize a multicore system. And with hundreds of cores
already available from SUN and probably coming from Intel soon, we may have
to consider this.

  With best regards,
    Boian Mitov

Mitov Software