[fpc-devel] In FPC written FPC Debugger

Johann Glaser Johann.Glaser at gmx.at
Sun Feb 24 15:33:30 CET 2008

Hi!

> > - Display STL types (e.g. std::string, std::vector, std::map). These
> >  are the "usual" way of making strings and containers in C++ and are
> >  quite complex internally. GDB displays this internal structure of
> >  these types instead of beautifying it according to its semantics. For
> >  the containers it's even impossible to view its elements.
>
> This is a limitation of the user interface you are using on top of the
> gdb infrastructure, as e.g. Xcode (which uses the gdb mi) does display
> such types.

Yea, I already thought that Eclipse, DDD, Anjuta, ... could also wrap
that functionality. But with your statement nearly every missing feature
in GDB can be dropped by referring to the UI.

> > - Set breakpoints within template functions. A template function might
> >  be instantiated multiple times, i.e. for every type it is used for.
> >  If you set a breakpoint at the source line within a template
> >  function, only one instantiation is (randomly?) chosen.
>
> Use the rbreak command instead of break (and you may also have to use
> dwarf instead of stabs).

(gdb) help rbreak
Set a breakpoint for all functions matching REGEXP.

Hmm, so, this is just a workaround and only works for the start of a
function, as far as I understand the help message.

But nevertheless, thanks for the hint.

Bye
  Hansi