[fpc-devel] In FPC written FPC Debugger

Helmut Hartl helmut.hartl at firmos.at
Thu Feb 21 18:56:16 CET 2008

Hi,

When using Freepascal for various projects, tests and platforms, i tried
to identify what makes productivity bottlenecks for me and my team.

We currently mainly do daemon console apps with Delphi and Lazarus as
IDE for linux,
arm projects on NLSU2, and several WinCE Tests also performed well.

One of the main problems we face is the debugger gdb, wich makes us less
productive.
(unhandy, no real good pascal support)

So i am thinking about a freepascal debugger written in freepascal,
taking advantage of
the freepascal code/structures itself. Features should include a clean
interface, remote debugging ability
via net/udp (thinking about a rdp/vnc like server to control the
debugger) and or serial console and the ability
to integrate it with a nice gui. (and other Features like Delphi's
debugger).

The advantage i see is that it should be buildable with fpc only, thus
working on all supported platforms from scratch,
maybe even suitable for mini OS Developments for embedded devices.

I am currently trying to study feasibility of such a project, and making
myself familiar with debugging techniques and
the DWARF(3) format.

I have some general questions to the fpc team:

What do you think about the idea ?
Will some code of FPC be reusable ? (assembling / disassambling)
Any general ideas, proposals, negative emotions ?
What is the state of Debugging information symbol support ?
Are there any resources beside the source ?

thank you,

 helmut