[fpc-devel] Unicode and UTF8String

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Dec 2 12:51:56 CET 2008

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> Ignore the name "ansi". Take it as a string type with the system
> encoding. I think it will solve the confusion.

Of course if you ignore "ANSI" and just use the type named "String"
there is no confusion as it's clear that the coding is not predefined.

That is exactly what I wanted to say: If you don't use it for ANSI coded
information don't name the type "ANSIString". As FPC provides the type
"ANSIString" out of the box it should be used appropriately and this any
new user will suppose that there is support for conversion between this
type and other string types that explicitly are called differently
according to their suggested internal coding (such as UTF8String.

If it does not work that way this calls for major confusion.