[fpc-devel] Pascal to Java compiler

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 07:55:12 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 07:59, Daniƫl Mantione
<daniel.mantione at freepascal.org> wrote:
> One time, during a programming contest, the jury had written their solution
> to a problem in Java. A 10MB output file had to be written. Their
> implementation took about 15 minutes and took about 60 MB of memory.
>
> During the contest, I was the first one to solve the problem and my program,
> of course coded with FPC, took something like 0,15s while using 200k of
> memory.

I have a related story -- the jury of the famous ACM ICPC
(http://icpc.baylor.edu/)
has disallowed Delphi language a few years ago (only C/C++ and Java remain).
The rumored reason was that Delphi gives "unfair advantage" to teams
(mostly Russian ones) using it.

--
Alexander S. Klenin
Insight Experts Ltd.