[fpc-devel] Controlling the output of the widestring manager

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Tue Nov 27 20:58:51 CET 2007

Op Tue, 27 Nov 2007, schreef Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho:

> On Nov 27, 2007 8:37 PM, Daniël Mantione <daniel.mantione at freepascal.org> wrote:
> > A more generic solution is necessary; one can want to output strings in a
> > specific encoding, utf-8 is only one of the specific encodings that are
> > demanded. Therefore a boolean is not a good solution.
>
> Win32Wide2Ansi just calls WideCharToMultiByte, which reading ms docs:

> I couldn't find any way to output to an arbitrary encoding. I don't
> know if this situation is similar on linux.

This function has a code page parameter, which allows you to specify
the code page you want to use?

> So it may be impossible to implement what you suggest in a reasonable way.
>
> Having said that I consider outputing always to an encoding which
> isn't the current locale and isn't utf-8 a very corner use case, if it
> has any utility at all. Being a very corner case one could use a
> special library to achieve it.

It isn't a corner case at all. Imagine a text editor that should be able
to read/write in specific encodings. Or perhaps you are coding a http
client; documents on the web can be in any IANA approved encoding.

Daniël