[fpc-devel] .NET Reflection vs RTTI

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Nov 20 10:34:48 CET 2007

> > Apart from the custom attributes and the Invoke, I don't see
> > what there is extra ?
>
> No usable RTTI for records
> No usable RTTI for arrays
> No RTTI for private, protected and public(!) members (only published)
> No usable RTTI for published methods (param and return types are just given
> as strings, not as references to other type infos, no information about
> calling convention)
> No usable type information for published fields (only a name to offset
> mapping is given, no type information at all)
> And so on...

Note that all this can be remedied (and better) by a simple code generator
(e.g. codesmith), as long as you alone control the project.

The .NET framework however also needs these attributes to interact with
Windows server components as IIS, and I can also imagine this, when used
sparingly applies to other server component vendors (hi Thorsten) too.

Then the codegeneration approach fails because you can't recompile certain
parts. (though you could generate listener info in many cases)