[fpc-devel] Partial OLE functionality, automated keword, RTTI on methods.

Peter Popov ppopov at tamu.edu
Sat Mar 24 19:08:24 CET 2007

Hi everybody
Before you stop reading, this email is not a request to implement full
OLE. I have recently been writing some delphi code which uses the fact
that Delphi generates full RTTI for automated methods. This includes
method return type, parameter count and parameter type. Based on this, one
can dynamically call methods, just by their name. Full runtime type
checking on the passed parameters (as variants, for example) can be
preformed, before executing the method. The whole thing does not require
generation of aditional stub/skeleton code, as in CORBA, for example.

So I have been writing some middleware code which performs remote method
execution (over sockets, that is not important). Everyting depends on the
full availability of RTTI for automated methods. My request is: Is it
possible (that is, easy) to implement the automated keyword and the
related automation table information on the compiler side. It doesn't have
to go as far as variant support for TAutoObject, etc.

Thanks
Peter Popov

--