[fpc-devel] Linux kernel behaviour change regarding keyboard

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Jul 18 22:12:24 CEST 2007

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, Daniƫl Mantione wrote:

> > > You just proposed this yourself, but before executing the IDE?
> >
> > ? I proposed to use a small wrapper program, which does an Exec() after setting
> > the proper TTY properties. Not set up a communication channel with a setuid root
> > program. The solution is worse than the problem then...
>
> What is bad about such a solution?

It's not KIS. If you can't have certain keys without being root, well then
you'll have to learn to live with it. This is no longer the MS-DOS age when
everything was possible. It's a shortcoming of the platform, and for me
this is the end of the story. The keyboard unit should in no way set up
such a communication channel; if you absolutely want that, you can set
it up for the IDE (I don't use it anyway), but not for the standard keyboard
driver unit. Develop a driver that handles this, and use that in the IDE.

I can agree that some of the Linux kernel developers are braindead - seeing
what they have done - but I don't think we should go out of our way to fix
that. Rather, we should request that they implement a decent keyboard
interface which allows you to detect properly the state of all keys on
the terminal which you are currently using.

Michael.