[fpc-devel] An optimizer bug?

Sergei Gorelkin sergei_gorelkin at mail.ru
Fri Dec 28 15:16:50 CET 2007

Sergei Gorelkin wrote:

I had isolated the issue, it is maybechangetemp() in ncgld.pas. If I
modify this function to always return false, the issue is gone. Actually
the failure is caused by incomplete deallocation of the AnsiString temp
variable - its initialization and finalization code is not deleted.

...But what the hell is happening? First, at pass1 compiler does a whole
load of checks, decides that the assignment of function result cannot be
optimized, and allocates an intermediate temp. Then, at pass2 (and with
-O2 specified), it optimizes this assignment and tries to delete the
temp, based solely on the fact that the right side of assignment is
LOC_REFERENCE. All escape analysis from pass1 is void then?

How should this be fixed? Guess I can add a check for Ansi/WideString
resultdef before call to maybechangetemp(), but it looks very like
spaghetti to me...

Sergei