[fpc-devel] fpdoc HTML with search feature

Sebastian Günther sguenther at gmx.de
Thu Aug 16 00:29:24 CEST 2007

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:

> To be honest, I never even thought of looking in that file. I'll do so
> tomorrow at work.  The  way Tipue works (new versions), it can read
> from XML files, so I was thinking of creating a simple program to read
> the FPDoc's xml files and generate a Tipue xml data file. The Tipue
> xml format is very simple (described on their website) and I've
> checked, all the information can be gathered from the FPDoc's xml
> files.
>
> Like Michael said. Keeping the indexing outside FPDoc is not a bad
> idea. It makes it more flexible to support other existing or future
> search products.

This was another reason why development stopped. There are some old
plans about online editing of documentation, real good indexing
(especially for HTMLHelp output) and so on, but within the last years I
simply had no time for further development, but this will change in the
future.

> PS:
>   Are you the Sebastian that originally wrote fpGUI and fpGFX?

Yes.
I stopped development after GTK 2.0 has been released, and new
developments such as XUL (Mozilla), SWT (Eclipse), AJAX/DHTML and
announcements like Microsofts WPF (Windows Presentation Framework)
aroused. It wasn't clear at all what major direction general development
will follow. Now we know that there is no clear favourite. By now I'm
more in favourite of a higher-level framework which can utilize GTK, Qt,
Win32, WPF, XUL, DHTML or even fpGUI/fpGFX in a modernized fashion. The
toolkit itself isn't as important anymore, IMHO.

Regards,
Sebastian