[fpc-devel] Licensing of packages

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Fri Oct 13 22:32:02 CEST 2006

Hi!

Several packages have been added recently. I would like to urge people to
be a bit more strict on the licensing issue, i.e. the md4 unit contains

  Unix SMB/CIFS implementation.
  a implementation of MD4 designed for use in the SMB authentication protocol
  Copyright (C) Andrew Tridgell 1997-1998.

  (at your option) any later version.

It's LGPL, but no static linking exception, and thus undermindes the
static linking possibilities of FPC. This is IMHO unnecessary.
Asking permission is usually no big deal (I did it with the hermen/ptcpas
stuff). Further, while it is nice to credit the Samba team, but an md4
implementation can be done without someone else owning copyrights, which
might even be already the case here.

Of course there will be interfaces to external packages which will have
copyrights we cannot do anything about it. But we should at least try to
have our packages licensed as we like them licensed.

Daniël