[fpc-devel] Re: -k linker path limit?

L505 fpc505 at z505.com
Sun May 14 21:03:27 CEST 2006

> > Try to add a LD param that increases LD's verbosity. Then see if the problem
> > is LD's parsing. It could be that there are still shortstrings here and
> > there in the compiler, but <255 chars limits are not likely.
>
> The LD man page says to pass --verbose .. will do some testing and report back what I
> find.

Passing --verbose option actually inflicts my problem! it doesn't report back anything
verbose because the --verbose is a few extra characters over the limit of whatever the
limit is I'm hitting.. hmmm...

Bizzare .. so in other words it's a general character length problem not specifically
within the -k option itself. But it is hard to reproduce because when I append something
like -Fuc:\long\path\long\long\long\ it doesn't affect the problem - but yet adding text
elsewhere in the command does affect the problem, such as when I add text into the -o
option. Maybe I'll just copy and paste the exact command I'm sending and someone else can
try reproduce the problem if they have time.

I've also experienced random issues inside Lazarus (above testing was done at the command
line). In lazarus sometimes I get a chopped off message stating "cannot find ar.e" when it
instead should say "cannot find ar.exe". This is not the exact message I received, just a
pseudo example. I've had chopping off problems before.. but hard to find the cause and
reproduce.