[fpc-devel] PR: Advocates needed

ik idokan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 06:49:23 CET 2006

On 1/20/06, Bisma Jayadi <bisma at brawijaya.ac.id> wrote:
>  > It's not the advocacy that is needed but rather they need code for it
>  > to work. It says right in the article.
>
> I think we should stop the VB vs Pascal discussion now. It's useless since we
> all here already know which is the winner. Even Alex himself had already knew
> about this, no need to convince him more.

Actually (at least with what I wrote above), there is a lesson for all
of us (regardless of the language), of how not to do things :)

> So, let's back to the main topic that had started this thread: The TurboCash
> Delphi-to-FPC convertion project. Let's do some (real) actions! First, somebody
> has to convince the TurboCash guys over there that FPC/Lazarus is the best
> alternative compiler and IDE to make TurboCash compiled and run natively on
> Linux (and other platforms as well). But don't make Python look bad... good
> Pascal guys don't like to say bad things about other programming languages. Just
> list the advantages of FPC/Lazarus over Python, regarding to this project.
>
> Second, some other person has to do some PR things on this issue. This could be
> done on FreshMeat or NewsForge or any open-source news media that had published
> this issue before. Convince other people that FPC/Lazarus can do the work, even
> it's the best alternative.

Well if you will publish it on more then one place it will also be
good (slashdot, newsforge etc).

> The last and the most important is... make a developer team who will do the
> convertion work. There are LOTS of things need to be done since TurboCash is
> very Delphi and win32 specific application.

There is an FPC unit (I don't remember it name for now) that allow you
to store "Windows Registry" like access to a XML. It is possible to
use it for any registry access.

For downloading, the lNet can be used (there might be a need for HTTP
1.0 and 1.1 and SSL implementation tough).

> So... who will start this? :)

On my todo list, there is a native DOM, HTML4.1 and CSS1,2,3 parser to
go with it. But it will be done only when I'll finish my current
project (at least the basics).

> Regards,
>
> -Bee-
>
> has Bee.ography at