[fpc-devel] Incorrect/Strange precision in FloatToStr and FloatToStrF

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Jan 17 15:41:55 CET 2006

> Is this a bug?  The actual value of 234.502 is not greater than either
> data types (extended or double), but the conversion to string result
> using the Double is not what I expected.
>
> Strangely enough 234.501 seem to work.  7.502 and 8.502 is another strange one!

This is all normal. It has to do with the fact that floating point numbers
variables are internally base 2 (binary) floating point notation.

So if you assign a certain decimal value, say 0.1234, is converted to the
closest binary notation and assigned to the float. Then when you print it is
converted back to decimal. Both operations can cause rounding