[fpc-devel] LGPL vs MPL

George Birbilis birbilis at kagi.com
Tue Dec 26 12:56:21 CET 2006

> I let the other points to people knowing it better to answer.
> > * plus point of MPL is you don't get confusion between GPL and LGPL.
>
> - When FPC was started in 1993 there were basically two
> licenses: BSD and (L)GPL so the choice was easy.
>
> > Many just see GPL and stay away...
>
> Don't make the common fault about OSS. Not users are
> important but developers. And (L)GPL is much more developer
> friendly. Further, most big OSS projects I know being
> completly "hobbyist" driven are (L)GPL.
> The big projects using something else have either academic or
> commercial roots or are too new so they use their own license.

Btw, see
http://www.sun.com/software/opensource/java/faq.jsp#g4
some discussion on why one would choose for example GPL + Classpath
exception (an amendment text from the Classpath project) vs LGPL. These two
seem equivalent, but the 1st means that one can include in some Linux
distros that require GPL

 ----------------
George Birbilis (birbilis at kagi.com)
Computer & Informatics Engineer
Microsoft MVP J# for 2004-2006
Borland "Spirit of Delphi"
3D, QuickTime, QTVR, Java, Delphi,
ActiveX, .NET components, Robotics
http://www.kagi.com/birbilis
http://birbilis.spaces.live.com

  _____

Virus Database (VPS): 0662-1, 24/12/2006
Tested on: 26/12/2006 1:56:21 ??