[fpc-devel] static vs dynamic arrays

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue Apr 4 13:17:49 CEST 2006

On 4 apr 2006, at 13:12, Пётр Косаревский wrote:

> In real program registers should be used more efficiently,
> especially when dealing with SEVERAL arrays, than for support of
> ONE dynamical array.

We don't do anything special to use register not as efficiently as
possible, and on the other hand making the register allocator more
efficient is difficult (especially for a braindead architecture like
x86).

> So, the circumstances described by you can only be reached in
> special cases.

No, it's a very common cases on all cpus which have a reasonable
amount of available registers.

> What can I do to speed up dynamical arrays?
>
> What can I do to speed up static arrays?

Unless you can implement static single assignment in the compiler,
probably nothing.

Jonas